FIFA World Cup is the most popular event of the most popular game in the world. The World Cup is conducted every 4 years, except in 1942 and 1946 due to World War II. A total of sixteen countries hosted the tournament since the first World Cup in 1930.
Table of contents
- 1.Rotation between Europe and South America
- 2.Implementation of Exhaustive Ballot
- 3.List FIFA World Cup Host Countries
- 4.Interesting Facts about FIFA World Cup Hosts
Rotation between Europe and South America
In earlier days selecting the host for FIFA World Cup was very controversial process. Lack of air transport means players have to cross the Atlantic Ocean via ships to get to the host nation in Europe or South America. The first ever FIFA World Cup was held on 1930 in South American nation Uruguay. Due to travel issues, just 4 European nations participated in this tournament.
The next 2 Football World Cups were held at Europe which leads to the boycott of the 3rd World Cup by South American nations like Argentina and Uruguay who believed that the World Cup location will be rotated between South American and European countries. Since then FIFA began to rotate World Cup location between the two continents. FIFA followed this method until 2002 World Cup when Japan and South Korea were selected as host nations.
Implementation of Exhaustive Ballot
FIFA adopted an exhaustive ballot voting system for FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022. Under exhaustive ballot voting process if no bidder gets the clear majority in the first round the bidding country with least amount of bids will be eliminated and rest of the bidding nations will go to next round until a clear majority is achieved by a bidder.
The executive committee met on 2010 to vote. For 2018 tournament Russia received 13 votes to win the bid after 2 rounds. Qatar won the bid for 2022 tournament after 4 rounds of voting. There are allegations of bribery but selected host nations are finalized.
For 2026 Football World Cup all member nations of FIFA will vote to select the host nation. The United bid from the USA, Canada, and Mexico won the rights to host FIFA World Cup 2026 with 134 votes against Morocco’s 65 votes.
List FIFA World Cup Host Countries
Check out the table below for World Cup bidders, hosts, host country’s continent, and the World Cup winner of that year’s World Cup. The bidder column contains countries that announced their bids including those who withdraw their bids later.
List of FIFA World Cup Hosts
|1||1930||Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay||Uruguay||South America||Uruguay|
|3||1938||Argentina, France, Germany||France||Europe||Italy|
|7||1962||Argentina, Chile, West Germany||Chile||South America||Brazil|
|8||1966||England, West Germany, Spain||England||Europe||England|
|9||1970||Argentina, Australia, Colombia, Japan, Mexico, Peru||Mexico||North America||Brazil|
|10||1974||West Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands||West Germany||Europe||West Germany|
|11||1978||Argentina, Colombia, Mexico||Argentina||South America||Argentina|
|12||1982||Spain, West Germany, Italy||Spain||Europe||Italy|
|13||1986||Canada, Mexico, United States||Mexico||North America||Argentina|
|14||1990||Austria, England, France, Greece, Iran, Italy, Soviet Union, West Germany, Yugoslavia||Italy||Europe||West Germany|
|15||1994||Brazil, Morocco, United States, Chile||United States||North America||Brazil|
|16||1998||England, France, Germany, Morocco, Switzerland||France||Europe||France|
|17||2002||South Korea/ Japan, Mexico||South Korea / Japan||Asia||Brazil|
|18||2006||Brazil, England, Germany, Morocco, South Africa||Germany||Europe||Italy|
|19||2010||Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia / Libya||South Africa||Africa||Spain|
|20||2014||Argentina, Brazil, Colombia||Brazil||South America||Germany|
|21||2018||Belgium / Netherlands, England, Spain / Portugal, Russia||Russia||Europe||France|
|22||2022||Australia, Japan, South Korea, Qatar, United States||Qatar||Asia|
|22||2026||Canada / USA / Mexico, Morocco||Canada / USA / Mexico||North America|
Interesting Facts about FIFA World Cup Hosts
- Only one country bid for FIFA World Cup 1950, 1954, and 1958 (Brazil, Switzerland, and Sweden respectively).
- A total of 8 countries announced their bids for 1990 World Cup tournament making it the maximum number of bids announced. In the end, 6 countries withdrew their bid and Italy won the bid beating the Soviet Union.
- In 1974, Colombia is selected to host 1986 World Cup since it is the only bidder. But in 1982, the country withdrew and FIFA called for new bids. Mexico, Canada, and the USA announced their bid.
- Mexico ultimately won by unanimous vote which was the first time in World Cup bidding history.
- FIFA World Cup 2002 host nations Japan / Korea are the first non-European and non-South American countries to host the tournament and this also the first time World Cup was co-hosted by two nation.
- FIFA World Cup 2026 will be the first time in history more than countries co-hosting the tournament.